Re: [DNS] Progress so far.

From: Richard Archer <rha§interdomain.net.au>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 15:22:37 +1000
At 16:13 +1000 25/6/98, Larry Bloch wrote:

>I am opposed to a shared registry system. I don't believe that this is the
>wayto go because in the end what you have is a CORE style organisation in
>the middle.

And the proposed alternative:

>Level 1: AU-NOMINET
>Level 2: Any ISP wanting to be a COM.AU registrar
>Level 3: End Buyers

This model still requires a shared registry system. The multiple Level 2
operators share the registry operated by AU-NOMINET. In this model,
MelbourneIT would become a level 2 operator.

If AU-NOMINET is responsible for .AU and operates registry software for all
2LDs, this becomes a very elegant and efficient solution.

Operating the SRS is a purely technical operation, similar to the operation
of the current databases by AUNIC.

 ...Richard.