Re: [DNS] shared registries experiences

From: Larry Bloch <larry§>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 15:15:19 +1000
At 14:46 26/06/98 +1000, you wrote:
>I kinda said this before, but I would like to ask it again.
>    *	Do we have concrete feedback yet on the experience of running
>	shared registry code?
>    *	Do we know what the problems are in making this work longterm?
>If we're going to give credance to the idea, we'd need to know early on
>how viable experience to date has been.  I'm not talking the business
>issues, or politics. Its the effects and concerns around the *code*
>that worries me right now.
>Making policy work sanely, so that party (a) doesn't register something
>party (b) refused, thats a different domain of concern right now.

This used to happen in the UK under the old Naming Committee regime. A
customer would get refused by ISP-1 and then went around until finding
ISP-n who agreed to put forward the application. As the whole thing was
collaborative, this essentially allowed individual ISP's to apply the
policy as they saw  fit.

Far better to have a single entity enforcing rules.

The gTLD CORE could operate ashared registry because names were to be
granted on a FCFS basis, so no CORE member was creating policy.

>Anybody here want to comment? Larry Bloch as already stated he is opposed to
>them, as it puts a CORE in the middle. I don't see this as neccessarily being
>good or bad. And it doesn't consider the technical questions.
>This article is not to be reproduced or quoted beyond this forum without
>express permission of the author.  You don't know who really wrote it.
>146 subscribers. Archived at (dns/dns)
>Email "unsubscribe" to dns-request&#167; to be removed.

Larry Bloch
Chief Executive Officer
NetRegistry Pty Limited
email:  larry&#167;
Office: +61-(0)2-9555 6299
Fax:    +61-(0)2-9555 5808
Domain House, PO Box 2088, Sydney, NSW 1043