Re: [DNS] Progress so far.

From: Larry Bloch <larry§netregistry.au.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 16:13:29 +1000
<199806250500.NAA22713&#167;gospel.iinet.net.au><2.2.32.19980624014202.009f8760§mail01.mel.aone.net.au>

At 15:54 25/06/98 +1000, you wrote:
>At 15:06 +1000 25/6/98, Larry Bloch wrote:
>
>>Can it be taken that this forum is tasked with debating all issues relating
>>to management of the entire .AU space and that part of this is determining
>>a body to action this lists wishes?
>

>I'm starting to feel that competition in .COM.AU will probably take care
>of itself. Once there are a few potential competitors with a bit of clout,
>they'll call in the ACCC.
>
>While it can be said "it's technically impossible to have competition", it
>would be futile to call in the ACCC. However, as soon as shared registry
>software is available, I would expect some action in this area.

I am opposed to a shared registry system. I don't believe that this is the
wayto go because in the end what you have is a CORE style organisation in
the middle.

The whole point of the NOMINET model is that the central function becomes a
purely technical service with a minimal cost associated, and essentially
ANY company or individual has equal access to that technical function.

So rather than having:

Level 1: COM.AU-CORE   at the centre
Level 2: Limited competing COM.AU registrars using this COM.AU-CORE service
Level 3: ISP's using the competing COM.AU Registrars
Level 4: End buyers

you have in the NOMINET model

Level 1: AU-NOMINET
Level 2: Any ISP wanting to be a COM.AU registrar
Level 3: End Buyers

Its fewer levels and more efficient and more competitive.