Re: [DNS] Qualified domain names extension

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian§creative.net.au>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 09:34:08 +0800
On Fri, Dec 21, 2001, John Simmons wrote:

> > Why not just create a (shock!) .biz.au or whatnot which does exactly
> > what you describe?
>
> 'Coz what I am proposing is not just for businesses, but for any group
> or organisation that has a properly registered name in Australia.  And
> because the rules within .biz do not restrict the names to be /exactly/
> the same as the officially registerd name.  This results in conflicts as
> people scramble for 'more desirable' abreviated versions of their names.

> Who said companies?  I said businesses/organisations - meaning anyone
> that has a properly registered name in Australia  - businesses, churches,
> clubs, companies, etc, etc.   One of the examples I gave was my own
> business.  We are not a company, but I have properly registered the
> name Genesis Networks, and thus woud qualify, under my proposed rules,
> to use genesisnetworks.au.  Similarly the Melbourne Novell Users Group
> should be able to use melbournenovellusersgroup.au without any fear
> of a clash.  If they want a shorter version of their name, then they
> have three choices:
>
> 1)  Register under a 3LD - eg: mnug.org.au (as they are now).
> 2)  Register a new official, non conflicting, name and then apply for
>     the relevant domain name.
> 3)  Forget it, and just use their real name, thus making it easier
>     for people to guess their domain name and find them.

I think the record of the name "adrian harold chadd" at the registrar
of Births, Deaths and Marriages (or whatever it is today) is enough
to qualify me for adrianharoldchadd.au .

Oh, wait. I'm currently trading as "adrian chadd", so I'd like
"adrianchadd.au" please. I mean, I've got an ABN and a pretty
piece of paper acknowledging that I, really, am "adrian chadd".

Stupid, isn't it? I'll stick with creative.net.au .

Adrian

--
Adrian Chadd			"The first rule of optimisation:
<adrian&#167;creative.net.au>	  Don't do it, and at least don't