Re: [DNS] Transferability of domain names

From: Katie Halson <katie§bluedoor.com.au>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 12:30:57 +1100
> That is not actually true.  It is theoretically possible for someone to
> register a name at the precise instant that the name is deleted from the
> database.  ie the process is not a transfer process, it is a delete and
> re-apply process.

I take your point however I would be very suspicious if someone new the
exact instance I deleted & reapplied the domain name. Although I have
registered domains in the past and had spam regarding hosting etc in an
unusually short period of time.

On another point

> For example in the case of a company selling a registered
> business the AUNIC WHOIS record can be edited to show the new owner of the
> business but only if the registered business number has not changed.

As the new domain policies allow for the registration of multiple domain
names under one business name would this mean that unscupulous types
registering domains for squatting purposes would not be able to then resell
them and their only option would be to delete and reapply. Perhaps the
'transfer' process should be looked at as it seems there is a possible
loophole there.

Katie Halson