Re: [DNS] Qualified domain names extension

From: John Simmons <jss§adam.genesis.net.au>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 11:56:54 +1100 (EST)
Thanks for the comments Adrian.

> Why would you want to pollute the 2LD with, quite arguably,
> entries that exist in the 3LD?

Businesses/organisations that properly register their names in Australia
should get priority use of those names over those that do not.  This
seems to me to be an obvious and most reasonable expectation, otherwise
what is the point of registering your name?

If I register the name abcxyz for my business/organisation's use in
Australia, why can't I use abcxyz.au as my domain name?  This gives me
the shortest possible, non-conflicting, but absolutely accurate, domain
name possible.  Why do I need to pad it out with other 2LD extensions?
Generic names may have dubious value, but short, to the point ones are
nearly always better.  If I own the name, then how could my use of this
domain name be a problem to anyone else?

These names only currently appear in the 3LD because we have not had
the option of putting them into the 2LD.  Let's make this possible, but
with strict checking of rules about accurate usage of our registered
names to avoid conflicts.

> What if, later on, one wishes to add a new 3LD (say a replacement
> for id.au, or a geographical-based index for towns/cities) but one
> can't because (and I _guarantee_ it'd happen if it weren't restricted
> by a rule) all of these possible 2LDs have been snapped up?

Three possible answers:

1)  Plan ahead!
2)  Use 2LDs that do not conflict with registered names.  The function
    of 2LDs are unique enough that it should be easy enough to come up
    with TLAs that will work, but not conflict with previously registered
    names.  If the worst case happens and a TLA that we really /must/ use
    for a 2LD is already taken, then make the current owner an offer.
    Surely a situation with a very small number of potential conflicts is
    far better that the current situation where conflicts are the norm.
3)  Rely on the current name registration processes to apropriately limit
    what can/can't be registered as an official name in Australia.

> Why not just create a (shock!) .biz.au or whatnot which does exactly
> what you describe?

'Coz what I am proposing is not just for businesses, but for any group
or organisation that has a properly registered name in Australia.  And
because the rules within .biz do not restrict the names to be /exactly/
the same as the officially registerd name.  This results in conflicts as
people scramble for 'more desirable' abreviated versions of their names.

> What makes companies more important from a DNS perspective?

Who said companies?  I said businesses/organisations - meaning anyone
that has a properly registered name in Australia  - businesses, churches,
clubs, companies, etc, etc.   One of the examples I gave was my own
business.  We are not a company, but I have properly registered the
name Genesis Networks, and thus woud qualify, under my proposed rules,
to use genesisnetworks.au.  Similarly the Melbourne Novell Users Group
should be able to use melbournenovellusersgroup.au without any fear
of a clash.  If they want a shorter version of their name, then they
have three choices:

1)  Register under a 3LD - eg: mnug.org.au (as they are now).
2)  Register a new official, non conflicting, name and then apply for
    the relevant domain name.
3)  Forget it, and just use their real name, thus making it easier
    for people to guess their domain name and find them.

> What is this "other" that you're referring to? The stuff that you
> don't care about?

Those that, for whatever reason, do not have a properly registered name
in Australia, and those that want to choose to use a name other than, or
a variation on, their properly registered name.  Also, of course, those
that have already set themselves up in these 3LDs and want to continue
to hold their current domain names - at least for a while.

> Why do people keep wishing to reduce Australia's DNS space to
> one rivalling the NSI legacy?

Is what I am suggsting a reduction, or an improvement?  Perhaps it
depends on whose perspective you look at it from.  I agree that if
allowed to slip into the anarchy and chaos of .com and its ilk, then
this would certainly be a backward step, but if it is administered
properly - primarily by enforcing the simple to understand, and check,
rule that the names must exactly match the officially registered names,
then I beleive that it is a big step forward.

> *shakes head*.

Don't do that too hard - your brains may fall out of your ears!  ;-)

All the best.

John Simmons                    Phone:  (03) 9754 6479
Director                        Fax:    (03) 9754 6514
Genesis Networks                Email:  jss&#167;genesis.net.au
www.genesis.net.au              Postal: 3 Gully Crescent Belgrave 3160