Re: [DNS] Qualified domain names extension

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian§creative.net.au>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 06:34:20 +0800
On Fri, Dec 21, 2001, John Simmons wrote:

> Why not let businesses/organisations that are prepared to use exactly the
> name that they have officially registered as 'their name' in Australia
> use these directly in the .au space.  eg:  myname.au, or logistics.au,
> belgravefishandchips.au, or in my case genesisnetworks.au
>
> The rules would be that you can only use your own properly registered in
> Australia name and you must use all of it, exactly as it is registered,
> no abreviations, acronyms, tweaks, etc.
>
> This leaves .com.au, .org.au, .net.au, etc for all the others.  Let them
> scramble for generic, or more memorable, names within these areas, but
> leave those that want to use their own names to use them the way that they
> were meant to be used.

Why would you want to pollute the 2LD with, quite arguably,
entries that exist in the 3LD?

What if, later on, one wishes to add a new 3LD (say a replacement
for id.au, or a geographical-based index for towns/cities) but one
can't because (and I _guarantee_ it'd happen if it weren't restricted
by a rule) all of these possible 2LDs have been snapped up?

Why not just create a (shock!) .biz.au or whatnot which does exactly
what you describe?

What makes companies more important from a DNS perspective?
What is this "other" that you're referring to? The stuff that you
don't care about?

Why do people keep wishing to reduce Australia's DNS space to
one rivalling the NSI legacy?

*shakes head*.

Adrian

--
Adrian Chadd			"The first rule of optimisation:
<adrian&#167;creative.net.au>	  Don't do it, and at least don't