RE: [DNS] RE: [Oz-ISP] Macromedia SPAM

From: Neale Banks <neale§lowendale.com.au>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 16:14:17 +1100 (EST)
On Mon, 10 Dec 2001, Chris Disspain wrote:

> What actually happened was that we were approached by Macromedia who stated
> that they had a list of web sites who were using their software unlicensed.
> They asked if they could run a WHOIS check on that list even though it would
> involve them in doing more than 30 queries in 1 hour. They explained that
> they would then contact the domain name owner to inform them that they were
> using the software unlicensed. Given the reasons they outlined and the fact
> that they had already assembled the list of sites I decided that I would
> grant permission for the out of terms search of AUNIC. I do not believe that
> sending the email they sent is SPAM however I respect your opinion and will
> look into establishing a process to deal with such matters in the future.

Interesting.  Whilst the above may be a reasonable request to grant, the
complication is that (IMHO) the email which was sent by/for Macromedia
doesn't appear to conform to this description (it appears to have gone to
all identified Cold-Fusion hostings (irrespective of licence/registration
status)).

Seeing that "One licence of ColdFusion Server is required per physical
server" but this analysis/mailout appears to be based on domains one
wonders if there has been any real "list of web sites who were using their
software unlicensed" collated.

Perhaps it would have been appropriate for Macromedia to submit a copy of
their proposed mailout with their request?

Regards,
Neale.