Re: [DNS] RE: [Oz-ISP] Macromedia SPAM

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian§creative.net.au>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 13:16:49 +0800
On Mon, Dec 10, 2001, Neale Banks wrote:

> Interesting.  Whilst the above may be a reasonable request to grant, the
> complication is that (IMHO) the email which was sent by/for Macromedia
> doesn't appear to conform to this description (it appears to have gone to
> all identified Cold-Fusion hostings (irrespective of licence/registration
> status)).

> Seeing that "One licence of ColdFusion Server is required per physical
> server" but this analysis/mailout appears to be based on domains one
> wonders if there has been any real "list of web sites who were using their
> software unlicensed" collated.

How can you identify the number of physical servers for a given
website?

> Perhaps it would have been appropriate for Macromedia to submit a copy of
> their proposed mailout with their request?

I'd agree that this would be a good idea.

Chris - I think you did the right thing in allowing this on principle.
Macromedia's post wasn't pitched as a sales oppertunity.

You could require the company sending the email to include a URL
at the beginning of each email (along with something stating where
they retrieved the details from, just as Macromedia did) which
displays the submitted email outline and content, the number of
sites (roughly) that were emailed, and a form allowing for feedback.

You'll get the inevitable "SPAM! BAD!" posts via this form, but you'd
know pretty quickly if the details were abused.

My 2c,

Adrian

--
Adrian Chadd			"Auntie Em, Hate you. Hate Kansas.
<adrian&#167;creative.net.au>	  Taking the dog."