RE: [DNS] Response to Larry Bloch's comments on ".au.com"

From: Larry Bloch <larry§netregistry.au.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 13:47:03 +1000
Peter

1. I agree that the term Top Level Domain when applied to both .au.com and
.com.au is misleading. We followed existing literature describing .com.au in
using his term. I'm happy to amend our literature to remove it.

2. The rights enjoyed by people who register .au.com domain names are the
same as registrants under .com.au. The exact nature of domain name ownership
has never been fully established. Essentially, domain name registrants have
a licence to use the name subject to ongoing payment of renewal fees. You
don't actually _own_ a com.au name - you licence it - same as you do a
.au.com name

3. Larry Bloch does not own .au.com - get your facts straight:
Registrant:
NetRegistry PTY LTD (AU40-DOM)
   PO Box 2088,
   Sydney, NSW 1043
   AU

   Domain Name: AU.COM

   Administrative Contact, Technical Contact, Billing Contact:
      Main, Dominic  (MD437-ORG)  dmain&#167;NETREGISTRY.AU.COM
      NetRegistry Pty Ltd
      PO Box 2088
      Sydney, NSW 1043
      AU
      +61-2-9699 6099
      Fax- +61-2-9699 6088

   Record last updated on 05-Feb-2001.
   Record expires on 02-Oct-2009.
   Record created on 01-Oct-1999.
   Database last updated on 25-Sep-2001 07:51:00 EDT.

   Domain servers in listed order:

   NS1.AU.COM                   203.202.16.44
   NS4.AU.COM                   203.202.16.45