Re: DNS: Re: DNS

From: David Keegel <djk§cyber.com.au>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 1998 16:53:27 +1100 (EST)
] Michael neglected to mention that KRE and .AU is vested via the IANA and
] John Postel. There is a formal delegatory role here, and nothing I have
] seen including the Clinton proposals alter the fact that .AU changes happen
] under delegatory responsibility, and with mutual consent.
]
] Its not enough to ask who holds a 'licence' or who fulfills a role, you need
] to ask who delegated the responsibility.
]
] .AU will only shift when BOTH KRE and John Postel/IANA agree it makes sense.

For the record, it is Jon Postel (not John).  Otherwise I agree with
George's comments.

On another thread, I think the question of whether a domain "exists" or
not is a red herring which people could argue over for years.  IMHO the
real question is "does this domain have a chain of authority that goes
back up to the IANA?"
 David Keegel <djk&#167;cyber.com.au>  URL: http://www.cyber.com.au/users/djk/
Cybersource P/L: Unix Systems Administration and TCP/IP network management