Re: DNS: SRS mechanism

From: David Keegel <djk§cyber.com.au>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 1998 16:43:13 +1100 (EST)
]  vic you're missing the point im afraid. the nature of the DNS is it
]  will never be a system for finding a company on the internet and
]  that's that. it. finito. listen to kre. he _knows_.

Hear, hear.

]  the rules are there to make the choice of domain name easier, not harder.
]  is it too much to ask that the domain name for a company is made
]  up of the name of that company?

I certainly don't think so.

IMHO it is easier to explain that your domain name must be derived from
your organisation name than it is to explain that some random person or
rival organisation has decided to use your organisation's name as their
domain name, because they thought it sounded kool or because they wanted
to extort money out of you.

I imagine it would also tend to reduce the amount of legal action by
taking a pro-active stance to keep the number of domain name conflicts
to a minimum before they happen, rather than having to do this reactively
when its too late.
(That is, assuming the policies are applied fairly/equally.)

]  as for searching for names, isnt having a domain name a little like
]  a street address?

Interesting semi-analogy.  Do we say that the postal address space is
over-regulated because I am forced to share most of my postal address
with my next-door neighbours?
 David Keegel <djk&#167;cyber.com.au>  URL: http://www.cyber.com.au/users/djk/
Cybersource P/L: Unix Systems Administration and TCP/IP network management