Re: DNS: .biz.au or .co.au

From: Luke Carruthers <luke§magna.com.au>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 11:43:05 +1100 (EST)
> > I think whatever happens it will be harder to find
> > companies on the net.
>
> this i cannot agree with more.

One of the current proposals, that I happen to find reasonably elegant,
is that of the directory service that functions on top of DNS.  DNS
would still be used for specific applications (i.e. where a mail
host is referred to, for example) but for imprecise applications
(as searching for a Web server, for example, often is) the directory
would be used to progressively narrow down all possible matches
(all Mitsubishi's) into the particular one you want (www.mitsubishi.com.au)
via metadata (data describing the resource, in this case the DNS record)
attached to the directory record.  There are a number of inherent
difficulties with this method also though.

Luke Carruthers
Magna Data
Internet Solutions Provider