RE: [DNS] Re: Whois & Spam

From: Larry Bloch <larry.bloch§>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 19:30:58 +1000

Your suggestion is a very sensible and workable solution. Email addresses
are in whois to ensure a registrant is contactable - not to provide another
data point for spammers. Forcing a manual form to be used would go all the
way towards providing contactability whilst maintaining some centralised
monitoring and control over abuse. Moreover, it's a solution that can be
implemented at the registry level, minimising impact for the rest of the
industry. There _are_ instances where a visual sighting of the registrants
email address is needed, but this is mainly at the registrar level (for
verification of transfer requests for example), and I doubt there are any
that are registrar spammers.

Simply saying that it's auDA policy and therefore auDA's issue is a
dereliction of duty of care of .AU DNS integrity and  a cop out. Clearly
accepting there is an issue and working collaboratively - at the policy,
regulatory and technical solution levels - is the way to address this.

Personally, I'd like to see a solution. Australia leads the world in many
aspect of DNS policy, and this is another global issue we can demonstrate
leadership on.

AusRegistry and registrars could definitely take their market experiences -
including comment here - and use their (our) influence at the
regulatory/policy level with auDA to progress a solution.

As Marty noted there is a forthcoming whois policy review. I'll certainly
take Jason's suggestion to that forum and would be keen to continue the
debate here to see what other creative ideas can be considered.