RE: [DNS] Domain Names Australia

From: Jason Pay <jasonpay§au1.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 17:08:16 +1000
I received the same letter, they have gone to great efforts to make this
letter appear like a bill, they have used similar envelopes to telstra and
the format of the letter is the same as my gas bill, barcode and all. This
is clearly a deceptive marketing campaign. I hope the ACCC come down on
these people like a ton of bricks. But I suspect that as one organisation
gets shutdown another will appear with the same players behind the scene.
Is there anything that can be done about this? I don't think that it is
really anything to do with auDA unless auDA have the ability to do
something, eg. cancel registrar status. I wonder how much contact auDA has
with the ACCC, and if the ACCC are being educated as to the impact of this
sort of spam/scam marketing in the domain industry. Do the ACCC have an
internet industry liaison? Are there criminal or civil laws which could be
applied to this sort of thing?

anyhow,

Jason Pay

Richard Archer <rha&#167;juggernaut.com.au>
24/07/03 04:26 PM
Please respond to dns