Re: [DNS] Whois policy and expenses to auDA and registries

From: Richard Archer <rha§juggernaut.com.au>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 15:38:39 +1000
At 11:44 +1000 16/7/03, jamesguy wrote:

>I refer to my 2nd submissions on the whois policy review.
>
>How much inconvenience and expense would be occassioned to auda and
>the registrars to implement the the policy change suggested?

It appears to me that items 1.1 to 1.3 of your proposal are
designed simply to give you the ability to bypass the existing
(mandatory) auDRP.

1.5 sounds like a good idea. Until you get to the bit about making
all the records available to yourself should you ever wish to have
a quick look-see.

1.7 strikes me as being a little bit over the top.

1.8 and 1.9 are simply ridiculous. My being bankrupt in no way
reduces my right to have a domain name registered. Why should I
not maintain my "archer.id.au" domain, for example. And why
should a company in administration all of a sudden lose their
web site, email access etc. Once a company *has been* struck off
there would be a case to have their domain name cancelled.

1.10 is presumably the one you were asking about above. Personally,
I don't feel I should be paying for such a "watch service" as a
hidden cost of my domain name registration fees. Should someone
believe they have a right to a domain name and that the current
registrant does not, they should appeal under the auDRP to have
the domain name transferred to themselves.

1.11-1.12 with regards to contact information is unnecessary as
the full name and ACN/ABN of incorporated entities is published
in the WHOIS database and with that information it is a trivial
matter to perform a company search. I do see that including the
trademark number for domains registered on such basis could be
worthwhile.

I disagree whole-heartedly with 1.13-1.15. There are still enough
scammers operating within the .AU namespace to make the publication
of expiry dates for domain names non-viable.

1.16-1.17 must be a troll. Are you seriously suggesting that
scammers should be *encouraged* to rip off the .AU registrants?
Unbelievable.

The entirety of Section 2 of your proposal is completely irrelevant
to the .AU namespace, since the .AU domain space has nothing to
do with the U.S. Department of Commerce et al.

>Further, is there any reason why the Australian DNS could not absorb
>those costs involved and who would be negatively effected by any such
>policy review?

Is there any reason why your company and other legal firms who stand to
scare up substantial amounts of business out of these changes should
not be billed directly by auDA for the creation and management of such
a system?

I certainly don't want to pay extra for my domain name registration
simply to allow scammers more ready access to my address and domain
expiry date.

And to return to the start of your message... ask yourself how much
inconvenience and expense would be occassioned to .AU domain name
registrants should your policy change be implemented. IMHO, far too
much!!!

 ...R.