Re: [DNS] More on the issue of reseller / registrar relationship

From: Richard Archer <rha§juggernaut.com.au>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 10:03:54 +1000
At 14:49 +0200 23/6/03, Kim Davies wrote:

>Well if you want to introduce clutter to the industry, it seems this
>is the right approach. Having additional segments each relying on each
>other like this seems to further complicate things. If you want to do it
>this way I'd rather have a administratively thick registry that does all
>the policy evaluation of the registrar, and getting rid of registrars.

So, the only reason we have registrars is so they can run a perl
script to evaluate whether or not the domain name being applied
for complies with the Naming Policy ?

Sounds to me as if registrars should be done away with forthwith.

There must be more to it than that. Apart from the fact that
Melbourne IT simply wouldn't have allowed such a proposal to
get up in the first instance.

What else do registrars do to earn their pound of flesh?

 ...R.