Issue for Debate: What is needed is not a *free* but an *orderly* secondary market in .au domain name licences

From: Ian Johnston <ian.johnston§infobrokers.com.au>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 14:39:52 +1000
Kim

You wrote "... it makes no sense for there to be a free transfer of domains
after registration, or to encourage a second-hand resale/cybersquatting market."

Perhaps you have not read the SETEL Public Policy Paper: No 1, 19 July 2002,
Transfers of domain name licences between Registrants, submitted to the auDA
Board in July 2002 <www.setel.com.au/publications/public/policy/001.htm>.  (BTW,
was this Paper considered by the auDA Board at this meeting?  It would appear
not from the August 2002 auDA Board minutes, as there is no mention of it
<www.auda.org.au/about/minutes/board-200208.html>.)

I submit that what is need is not a *free*, but an *orderly* secondary market in
.au domain name licences.

I wrote in a paper for my Masters (also reflected in the Public Policy Paper: No
1) based on much research and analysis:

"A key rationale for maintaining the prohibition on transfer was that removal
would encourage further domain name cybersquatting, hoarding and other forms of
undesirable conduct and thus cause harm.  Ironically, the longstanding practice
of selling commercially attractive domain name licences at fixed prices, below
their market value, has been a major factor contributing to and encouraging such
behaviour.  The risks of financial losses for speculators are small by contrast
with the financial gains.  Auctioning of commercially valuable domain name
licences and removal of the prohibition trading of licences can be an effective
way of dealing with such undesirable market conduct."

I stand by this statement, and challenge you and others to some healthy public
discussion and debate on this public policy issue.

Ian

--
Ian Johnston, Policy Consultant
Small Enterprise Telecommunications Centre (SETEL)

SETEL is a national small business consumer association
advancing the interest of Australian small business
as telecommunications and e-commerce consumers