Re: [DNS] Registry key

From: drew <drew§dronus.org>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 22:01:13 +0930
Hi Bruce, and all,

Thanks for that overview.

I have customers who are moving away from certain resellers, and the
resellers are making it impossible for the customer to get the registry key.
The domains are fairly new, and the registry key has never been given to the
customer. One inperticular reseller has a form on their website that
encourages leaving clients to fill it out with the new hosting companies DNS
details, so that they can redelegate the domain, obviously without disclosing
the regisrty key to the customer.

My questions are as follows:

1. Is there a legal standing where if the customer asks the reseller who
registered the domain for the registry key for their domain, they must give
it to them? (esp if the reseller has kept the contact email details as their
own, so that any automated responses only goto them),

2. Shouldn't registry keys be given to clients when they get confirmation of
domain aceptance?

3. A reseller who phones up the gaining hosting company and asks them for
their DNS details, so that they can redelegate the losing domain would be a
tad silly, especially if the DNS at the gaining hosting company hasnt been
set up, and the tech is not stupid, and tells them to give the customer the
registry key (not really a question, maybe more of a statement) ;),

4. In everyones opinion, if a customer decides that they were going to move
their hosting from you, would you be obliging, and give them the details they
need, so as not to "burn any bridges"? maybe im old fashioned, but thats what
i do :), and finally,

5. When a domains hosting is transferred, shouldnt the tech contact be
updated to reflect the new hosting company? this not only makes sure that the
tech contact is correct, it also gives both paries a chance to update any
admin contact details.

Cheers, i look forward to your informed responses :)

Drew

http://www.dronus.org
Where you can get anything you want
and some things you dont