RE: [DNS] RE: auDA to consider new names for .au

From: Saliya Wimalaratne <saliya§hinet.net.au>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 09:47:38 +1000 (EST)
On Fri, 26 Apr 2002, Michael-Pappas wrote:

> Having said that the only domain names that I could see that would really
> help and open up the .au space would be domain names in the .info.au and
> biz.au domain space. (At this time) This being as it will provide an
> Australian base for Australian and International Trademark/Business Holders
> to choose any combination of ;

Realistically; more 2LDs only means more names for people to try to
'protect' with the current mindset of 'register everything'.

That's not good for anybody apart from those whose business it is to sell
domain names. Anybody who has such a vested interest need not reply to
this thread :)

I wouldn't say 'follow "." blindly in the .au namespace'; in fact, I'd say
'take a long hard look at "." and try to learn from the mistakes'.

And I'd have to agree with some other people's sentiments; get the basic
functions right first (because they're not, yet) before expansion is
discussed. Don't want to be another dot-bomb, do we ? :P

Regards,

Saliya