RE: [DNS] Alternatives....

From: Bruce Tonkin <Bruce.Tonkin§melbourneit.com.au>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 12:46:12 +1100

> Being denied our company identity on the Internet by God
> "Melbourne it"
> sucks, it good to see a welcome change to this.

The policy was not developed by Melbourne IT - it was developed by Mr Robert
Elz.
Melbourne IT is legally bound to administer this policy under the terms of
its original agreement with Mr Elz.
Melbourne IT supported the removal of the restriction on generic domain
names.

> Will the be a case to answer on behalf on auda and the
> registrant if this
> happens.  I do know until know Melbourne IT have stated that
> their is NO
> recourse to appeal or anyway to start a legal action in
> respect to their
> decisions.

That is not true, see section 5 of the terms and conditions of a ".com.au"
domain name licence (http://www.inww.com/policies/comaupolicy.php3).  There
is an established arbitration procedure for dealing with disputes.
Legal action is always a recourse.

Bruce Tonkin