[DNS] Cybersquatting and the value of domain names

From: James Omond <James.Omond§southcorp.com.au>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 04:40:02 +0100
-----Original Message-----
From: Aristedes Maniatis [mailto:ari&#167;ish.com.au]
Sent: Friday, 21 September 2001 11:24
To: dns&#167;auda.org.au
Subject: Re: [DNS] Internet Domain Names May Have Warned of Attacks

> snip

>> This ignorance goes to the core of building a better domain name system
and
>> reducing cyber squatting. People still believe that domains have
intrinsic
>> value, but you would be hard pressed to find the same value attached to
>> phone numbers.

Funny you should say this today.

This morning I received a letter from an outfit called Resource Capital
Australia Pty Ltd offering 8 domain names for sale for a total of $850,000.
They include Coonawarrawines.com for $200,000 and Coonawarrawines.com.au for
$100,000, down to Tasmanianwines.com.au for $75,000 and the lowly
Queenslandwines.com.au for a paltry $50,000.

A fairly decent increase in value, given that all these names were only
registered yesterday!

It follows a letter dated 19 September, offering 7 domain names, which were
a steal at $1 million (including whitewines.com.au and redwines.com.au at
$250,000 each).  Another decent increase in price from when they were
registered on 17 September.

And this all followed an offer to sell us the domain names Tullochwines.com
and Tullochwines.com.au for $65,000, which this outfit registered shortly
after we had announced the proposed sale of our Tulloch business!

Maybe they should change their company name to Rip Van Winkle Pty Ltd.

Cheers

James Omond
Deputy General Counsel - Australia
Southcorp Limited