Re: [DNS] Advertising on AUNIC - Competitive neutrality?

From: Don Cameron <donc§mudgeeab.com.au>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 19:39:08 +1000
Hi all,

I realise I am somewhat late into this discussion, however as a member of
the aforementioned "public" (and not anybody's competitor in this respect),
why are banner adds displayed on the AUNIC site at all? - banners are always
distasteful on sites promoting a public service. If the hosting provider was
selected by tender, we must assume there is a cost involved, hence this
negates any responsibility by AUNIC to display advertisements for NR (or
anyone else). Allowing advertising may be understandable if NR is providing
the hosting service for free, and if this the case, please disregard what I
have just written.

On a similar vein... the auDA site remains a fine example of amateurish html
coding, albeit trying to promote the professionalism of Australian Domain
administration. Bullet points are not properly aligned (a quick look at the
code shows plenty of missing paragraph breaks causing the misalignment), the
code is grossly "exploded" with blank spaces, and rather than deleting old
items (to reduce load times), old items are simply commented-out, yet remain
imbedded within the html.

Sorry if this sounds overly critical, though I have posted on this before
without anything being done, and it really portrays a poor image of AU to
the rest of the world.

PS - Out of interest, how did instra.net get the aunic.net.au domain? - took
me a while to figure out the domain I wanted was aunic.net - is there an
affiliation somewhere? - or is a .net domain preferable from a business
marketing perspective to a .net.au?

Rgds, Don