RE: [DNS] Advertising on AUNIC - Competitive neutrality?

From: Matthew King <mking§cinfo.com.au>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 12:01:27 +0800
"If auDA are happy to provide the contract I have no objections. In
other words, NetRegistry is happy to waive any confidentiality
clauses."

Larry is happy for "the relevant guidelines" to be published. So ok
I'd love to read them.

Can Larry onsell banner impressions? This would be an interesting
exercise in market value.

By the way my comments are not aimed against Larry and NetRegistry
(It is another clever idea like au.com if the truth be known) however
I'd have to say that I question that auDA actually allowed it in the
first place.

The comments about the RTA and GoodYear Tyres are spot on the money.
It seems to me to be more a question of perception and suitability.
The costs of the system should come from the sale of the primary
item. domain names. (This argument gets a bit muddy with the RTA
however but that is politics for you.)

I was under the impression that a chunk of the $140.00 registration
fee was supposed to pay for infrastructure like aunic services. But
then again if auDA was really in control it could have made an issue
of this. Rather than the apparently little victory of aunic services
"at no cost".

Especially considering the inflated .com.au prices. I am surely not
the only person who can buy a .com domain for $20.00 per year.

The primary point is still valid aunic services are no longer
competitively neutral. If auDA endorses this then there should be
banner adds allowed on the auDA site because this is now the
competitive environment they have created.

Cheers,

Matthew King