Re: [DNS] re-delegation of .au

From: Patrick Corliss <patrick§quad.net.au>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 00:33:25 +1000
I am speaking as an individual and expressing my own personal views.

On Sunday, June 10, 2001 10:02 PM, Dassa Lynch wrote:
> |> On Sunday, June 10, 2001 9:44 PM, Patrick Corliss wrote:
> |> I am a member of the auDA Board representing the "demand" class of
> |> members .
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by this?

Hi Dassa

The Board of auDA webpage at http://www.auda.org.au/board.html shows
that there are several classes of membership and in particular:

=>  Directors elected by Supply Class Members (3):
=>  Directors elected by Demand Class Members (3):
=>  Directors elected by Representative Association Class Members (3):
=>  Directors elected by all Members together (2):

The *supply* class is designed to encompass those who are Registrars or
other Registration Service Providers ("RSPs").  You will be familiar with
this concept from the OpenSRS forum.  The *demand* class technically covers
those do not qualify for *supply* class membership but is really meant to
cover those who register domain names -- the Registrants.

The third category is for societies like ISOC-AU.  Three directors are
elected to represent each class.  Two extra directors are elected by all
the members together.  The upper limit for any class is therefore five.

In my case, I am a member of auDA in the *demand* class.  I also hold office
as a Director in that class.  Hence my comment that I am "representing the
demand class of members".

However, it is probably more correct to say that, as a Director of auDA, I
represent the entire body of members as, when I perform my functions, my
over-riding duty is to act in the best interests of auDA (i.e. the internet
in Australia).  I see that role as supporting policies which promote
operational stability, effective competition, consumer safeguards and
choice.  These principles are detailed in the auDA Constitution at
http://www.auda.org.au/constitution.html.

> |> When I joined the Board in December I voiced similar concerns . . .
> |> I have also corresponded privately with Robert Elz.
>
> Is a bit of a concern Mr Elz communicates singularly with Board members
> but not on an official level.  No doubt he has his reasons.

As I said when I joined the auDA Board, I had my own reservations and
corresponded privately with Robert Elz.  I have established to my own
personal satisfaction that the process being adopted is fair and proper.

I did not say that Robert Elz has never communicated on an official level.
I would, for example, refer you to Robert's submission at
http://www.auda.org.au/panel/name/submissions/elz.html

<SNIP>

> We have started to cross paths in other forums and since I am now taking
> an interest in the local scene I imagine we will continue to cross paths a
> great deal.  From other forums we have a slight understanding of each
> others view points.  Hopefully this will enable us to communicate at an
> ideal level.

It's nice to see you taking an interest in the local scene.  Actually I
value your contribution in other forums and look forward to your input
here.  I feel sure that we are more likely to agree on local issues and
expect a good result.  I truly hope that you will join auDA as a member.

> All the best.

You too.  Thank you.

> Darryl (Dassa) Lynch.

Best regards