Re: [DNS] geographic names

From: Doug Robb <doug§clarity.com.au>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 10:26:07 +0800 (WST)
On Thu, 23 Nov 2000, Ron Ipsen wrote:

> Why should they be? to whom? and under what circumstances? is a the
> question at hand.
>
> If no answer is found then I would guess that the current embargo would
> continue.

Just as a slight aside that is a question I have been
wrestling with for a few years with developing a set
of geographic names owned by Clarity.

We have registered all CapCityState.com and .net
combinations for Australia except CanberraAct.com
(which was the only one that was was taken)

eg SydneyNSW.com, SydneyNSW.net, AdelaideSA.com,
MelbourneVic.com etc.

Now I have a number of my own ideas on how they could
be best used but actually picking a decent option
(either from a commercial point of view or being
benevolent and contributing something to the benefit
of Australian net users in general) is not as simple
as you might think.

A fragmentation of different uses of different geographical
names is probably not the best option for deplying these so
coordinating their use is something that is desirable I think.
(be it the names above or within 'state.com.au' for
instance).

regards doug

Doug Robb
Clarity Software Pty Ltd      http://clarity.com.au
GPO Box 763                   Phone: 0403 02 2527
Nedlands 6909                 Fax:   (618) 93867564
Australia                     email: doug&#167;clarity.com.au