Re: [DNS] geographic names

From: Ron Ipsen <ron§comu.net.au>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 16:39:55 +1100
At 10:26 AM 23/11/00 +0800, you wrote:

>Just as a slight aside that is a question I have been
>wrestling with for a few years with developing a set
>of geographic names owned by Clarity.
><snip>
>
>Now I have a number of my own ideas on how they could
>be best used but actually picking a decent option
>(either from a commercial point of view or being
>benevolent and contributing something to the benefit
>of Australian net users in general) is not as simple
>as you might think.

Yep this is what I have been tackling on a regional level in Gippsland.

I own most of the town domain names in a .net format and have been issuing
them out to communities and training them how to use them. The process is
slow and fraught with loopholes.

It is this experience that has caused me to draft the town.state.au
paradigm with a central body running the show.

Ron.