Re: [DNS] ENOUGH is ENOUGH

From: Geoff Newton <G.Newton§gu.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 08:40:30 +1000
Sadly this topic seems to be degenerating into a flame war.

Could I propose that we cast our considerable efforts into the process
rather than the individual(s).

Perhaps this group (or another even!) should be considering what are
acceptable levels of service for dns administration in .org.au. It could
be that clients just need to be reminded of the typical turnaround time
in such requests. Possibly a web form could be developed to give people
an idea of the position of their request in the queue, and the number of
requests processed per day.

Would anybody be interested in jotting down some of the administrative
operations and "proposed" turnaround times?

I'd council against a knee-jerk reaction to dissolve the existing
process and replace it with another using the same articles. I think the
Australian Internet community should be better defining the requirements
first. That then gives a mechanism to evaluate whether the existing
systems works, needs refinement, or needs replacing.

Much has been done on the free time of individuals for the greater good
of the Internet in Oz. I appreciate and commend the efforts of those
people (both recognised and not). However, the net is getting bigger,
and the issues trickier. Perhaps we (on this list) should be
contributing something constructive to do our bit on this.

Just my $0.02

cheers,
gjn
--
 _-_|\  | Geoff Newton (gjn)               Email: g.newton&#167;gu.edu.au
/     * | Network Manager                  Phone: (61 7) 3875-6435