Re: [DNS] ENOUGH is ENOUGH

From: Larry Bloch <larry§netregistry.au.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 20:26:37 +1000
At 19:50 21/07/98 +1000, you wrote:
>Larry Bloch wrote:
>
>> I have to say that members of this list finding a 7 day wait acceptable
>> is a clear sign to me of the depths to which DNS is this country have sunk.
>>
>> I cannot think of any country that claims to be 'technologically advanced'
>> worldwide in which this kind of wait is acceptable.
>>
>> Would you wait 7 days for a taxi? In most countries you can get a name
>> delegated quicker than it takes to call a cab.
>
>If the Rules of Operation or Governance or whatever we end up
>calling them for the .ORG.AU 2LD require that the organisation
>be a bone fide not-for-profit entity, possibly with a registration
>number to identify the organisation by its rightful name,
>then yes, it will take much longer to process the domain name
>application.
>
>Mel.I.T. faces a delay longer than a call to the taxi cab company
>since it must vet that the applicant for .COM.AU does indeed
>adhere to the Guidelines for .COM.AU.
>
>Nothing wrong with have Rulers of Ops for the DNS in
>Australia. We've yet to move beyond the currently codified
>Rules for each of the 2LDs in .AU, but certainly should
>adhere to the status quo until such time the changes
>are ratified.
>
>Larry ... are you proposing that all 2LD's in .AU have
>a rule set that enables a turn-around time of a few minutes?

Given that the rest of the world operates in that way (statistically speaking), I can't see that it would be a bad idea.

Do I advocate it?

For the greater good of the Australian Internet: YES
For the greater good of my company:-) NO

Companies and trading practices are regulated by law. The only advantage in getting a generic domain name is due to that company/individual who thinks of it and acts on it before others do. Surely this is their competitive advantage for knowing that this is an advantage [sic. Adam Smith]

Globally, nobody expects a domain name and the company behind it to have a direct character correspondance. Why should there be? Network Solutions Inc has a website called rs.internic.net. So what if that's not their company name.

The issue that is being missed here is that regardless of what this industry thinks is good or not good, the public want arbitrary domain names, and they want them instantly (as in yesterday). We can deliver that, so why aren't we?

I think too much time has been spent trying to look after the interests of the public and too little asking them what their interest is.

And I do believe I can speak for the 'great unwashed'. I personally speak to upwards of 15 people daily whose primary interest in the conversation is registering a domain name.