Re: [DNS] ENOUGH is ENOUGH

From: Rick Welykochy <rick§dot.net.au>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 19:50:18 +1000
Larry Bloch wrote:

> I have to say that members of this list finding a 7 day wait acceptable
> is a clear sign to me of the depths to which DNS is this country have sunk.
>
> I cannot think of any country that claims to be 'technologically advanced'
> worldwide in which this kind of wait is acceptable.
>
> Would you wait 7 days for a taxi? In most countries you can get a name
> delegated quicker than it takes to call a cab.

If the Rules of Operation or Governance or whatever we end up
calling them for the .ORG.AU 2LD require that the organisation
be a bone fide not-for-profit entity, possibly with a registration
number to identify the organisation by its rightful name,
then yes, it will take much longer to process the domain name
application.

Mel.I.T. faces a delay longer than a call to the taxi cab company
since it must vet that the applicant for .COM.AU does indeed
adhere to the Guidelines for .COM.AU.

Nothing wrong with have Rulers of Ops for the DNS in
Australia. We've yet to move beyond the currently codified
Rules for each of the 2LDs in .AU, but certainly should
adhere to the status quo until such time the changes
are ratified.

Larry ... are you proposing that all 2LD's in .AU have
a rule set that enables a turn-around time of a few minutes?

 _/  Richard Welykochy                 mailto:rick&#167;dot.net.au
_/  Dot Communications Ltd             http://www.dot.net.au/world