Re: [DNS] ENOUGH is ENOUGH

From: Rick Welykochy <rick§dot.net.au>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 21:03:30 +1000
Larry Bloch wrote:

> Richard Welykochy wrote:
> >Larry ... are you proposing that all 2LD's in .AU have
> >a rule set that enables a turn-around time of a few minutes?

> Given that the rest of the world operates in that way (statistically speaking), I can't see that it would be a bad idea.
> Do I advocate it?

It takes me about a minute to answer this email.
It takes me about an hour to setup Internet access.
It takes me about a day to get a new phone hooked up.
It takes me about a week to get a credit card.
It takes me about a month to get a home loan.
It takes me about a year to get a profitable business going.

And it takes from a day up to week to get a .COM.AU domain name,
depending on what I pay and how busy Mel.I.T. are (as an example).

Orders of magnitude of wait time for various and sundry services.

> The issue that is being missed here is that regardless of what this industry thinks is good or not good, the public want
> arbitrary domain names, and they want them instantly (as in yesterday). We can deliver that, so why aren't we?

The few minutes turnaround sometimes quoted for InterNIC domain
names has left the USA in a quagmire of litigations over ownership.
And a lot of scalping goes on.

> I think too much time has been spent trying to look after the interests of the public and too little asking them what their
> interest is.
>
> The issue that is being missed here is that regardless of what this industry thinks is good or not good, the public want
> arbitrary domain names, and they want them instantly (as in yesterday). We can deliver that, so why aren't we?

Delivery time of new domain name registrations and delegation is
just one of the issues facing the list.

 _/  Richard Welykochy                 mailto:rick&#167;dot.net.au
_/  Dot Communications Ltd             http://www.dot.net.au/world