Re: [DNS] ENOUGH is ENOUGH (fwd)

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian§creative.net.au>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 15:41:55 +0800
vicc&#167;cia.net.au writes:

>as I said to them, there should be no problem with the delegation having
>done a couple hundred of them, however I cant guarantee anything, the
>delegation may fail, RE may get run over a by a truck.  who knows.
>I am not able to promise them anything.
>
>what you are missing is that these people take there jobs with a certain
>seriousnes which is lacking in the dns world. yes they are overly nervous,
>yes they are not net literate, and all they understand is there web site
>is not working because you are holding it up, which is holding up
>everything else.
>
>they said to me it takes 30 seconds to check a domain why is it taking
>a week to delegate one? its nearly the year 2000!

The answer is actually quite simple.

WHOIS is a unix daemon, talking to a database. It does not require a human
present to say "Yes" or "No" when people query the whois database.

The AU DNS registration process is *not* totally automated. It still has
a human in the process to decide whether to accept or reject the process.

I am convinced that if .org.au delegation was automated, a la NSI,
lifeline.org.au would have been snapped up quite some time ago by some
irc weiner wanting mess.with.me.and.ill.mess.with.your.lifeline.org.au
as a hostname some evening while stoned. Nice, automated, just like you're
after. But in the end, not what you're after.

If people are unhappy with the unpredictability of .org.au registration
time periods, then why don't you stick your hand up and make some
constructive comments? Maybe "Its time kre offloaded .org.au onto someone
to maintain", or "Would kre be willing to stick a timeframe on .org.au, say 1
or 2 week turnaround, considering its free".

Adrian