Re: DNS: Let me get this straight...AU is ONE person ?

From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1§ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 23:40:52 +0100
Jean and all,

Jean-Christophe Praud wrote:

> Scott Howard wrote:
> >
> > If you had done even a tiny amount of research, or used a little common
> > sense, you would have realised why there are so few domains in .AU.
> >
> > The .AU top level domain is setup the way DNS was intended - in an
> > hierarchical fashion.
> >
> > .AU contains 8 active domains
> > .NET.AU contains thousands of domains
> > .COM.AU contains 10's of thousands of domains
> > (I'm guessing here, but I'd say those figures are in the right ball-park)
>
> Well, I did know that. Thanks for remembering me.
>

> > > Aren't there any Australian company, or organization, which would want
> > > have its site under its .AU name ?
> >
> > There are literally thousands of companies with their sites under .AU,
> > just not directly under .AU.
> >
> > > http://www.ibm.fr
> > > http://www.lotus.fr
> > > http://www.apple.fr
> > > http://www.coca-cola.fr
> >
> > ibm.com.au, lotus.com.au, apple.com.au and coke.com.au all exist, all exactly
> > where they should under .COM.AU
>
> Wouldn't it be better for such BIG names to exist directly under .AU ?

  One would think so.  But that is up the the Australian people/stakeholders/ and
australian Internet user community.

> > > You'd benefit from a .AU zone really competitive...
> >
> > No, we wouldnt. We would benefit from a competitive .COM.AU domain, but I
> > doubt anyone will argue too hard about that...
>
> Mmm. I think you're missing a point : ccTLDs currently are the only
> "official" alternative to US-managed gTLDs.
> The more names there will be under ccTLDs (and alternate gTLDs), the
> better it will be for international DNS management...

  This is true to be sure.

> Names that are directly under a TLD are more "mediatic"...
>
> Moreover, if ccTLDs can't compete against gTLDs, there will probably be
> more ccTLDs hijacked by private interests. Not a good thing for the
> countries concerned.

  You suerly aren't suggesting that Robert Elz is a "Private Interest" are you
Jean?  >;)   Naaahhhh!  Couldn't be!

> --
> Jean-Christophe PRAUD - LUDEXPRESS  http://www.ludexpress.com
> http://www.nicwine.net     http://www.nic.wine     3:213 WINE
> Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu n'gah Bill R'lyeh Wgah'nagl fhtagn

 Regards,

--
Jeffrey A. Williams
DIR. Internet Network Eng/SR. Java/CORBA Development Eng.