Re: DNS: Let me get this straight...AU is ONE person ?

From: Jean-Christophe Praud <jc.praud§>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 07:13:28 +0200
Scott Howard wrote:
> If you had done even a tiny amount of research, or used a little common
> sense, you would have realised why there are so few domains in .AU.
> The .AU top level domain is setup the way DNS was intended - in an
> hierarchical fashion.
> .AU contains 8 active domains
> .NET.AU contains thousands of domains
> .COM.AU contains 10's of thousands of domains
> (I'm guessing here, but I'd say those figures are in the right ball-park)

Well, I did know that. Thanks for remembering me.

> > Aren't there any Australian company, or organization, which would want
> > have its site under its .AU name ?
> There are literally thousands of companies with their sites under .AU,
> just not directly under .AU.
> >

>,, and all exist, all exactly
> where they should under .COM.AU

Wouldn't it be better for such BIG names to exist directly under .AU ?

> > You'd benefit from a .AU zone really competitive...
> No, we wouldnt. We would benefit from a competitive .COM.AU domain, but I
> doubt anyone will argue too hard about that...

Mmm. I think you're missing a point : ccTLDs currently are the only
"official" alternative to US-managed gTLDs.
The more names there will be under ccTLDs (and alternate gTLDs), the
better it will be for international DNS management...

Names that are directly under a TLD are more "mediatic"...

Moreover, if ccTLDs can't compete against gTLDs, there will probably be
more ccTLDs hijacked by private interests. Not a good thing for the
countries concerned.

Jean-Christophe PRAUD - LUDEXPRESS     3:213 WINE
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu n'gah Bill R'lyeh Wgah'nagl fhtagn