Re: DNS: .AU Board of Trustees Election - NOT

From: Larry Bloch <larry§netregistry.com.au>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 16:56:31 +1000
OK

Wait a second here.

Lets not talk about nominating anyone for anything. Lets proceed in an
orderly fashion - there isn't any point nominating anyone or setting up
anything unless it is going to be representative, credible, accountable and
in line with the expectation of .AU stakeholders.

At this point, the only parties that are likely to avoid us pissing into
the wind (excuse my lack of manners) are:

Robert Elz (because he has absolute power over .AU)
Government (because they are bigger than kre)

Without support from both or either of these parties we are wasting our
time. So rather than 'elect' a non-representative group of individuals to a
non-existant body, lets rather try and determine who the stakeholders are,
who can represent groups of stakeholders that are too large to be
represented directly and what sort of authority this body will have.

Now I see the stakeholders as follows:

Robert Elz
Government
The ISP Industry
The domain buying public
Commercial 'Players' in the domain registration business.

any more?

The last thing we need is another body with no authority. You will recall
that this is one of the reasons that ADNA has gotten nowhere - nobody is
going to take much notice of a body that has no power and is not
representative.

To Robert Elz: Are you interested in the industry as a whole putting its
efforts together towards reforming the .AU namespace? Will you participate?
And if not, what would change your mind?

Regards

Larry Bloch

At 15:10 22/06/98 +0930, you wrote:

>> Would it be possible to elect 8 people from the following
>> list to be the Trustees of the .AU TLD ?
>>
>> Robert Elz
>> Larry Bloch
>> Steve Baxter
>
>take me out please - I have had a gutful and just wish to be a noise maker
>on the sidelines as that is really easy and requires very little rational
>thought !
>

>> Chris Chaundy
>> James Ray
>> David Keegel
>> Kevin Dinn
>> Adam Todd
>
>I insist that if this goes ahead that any person who has stated ambition
>to fragment the DNS system as we know it not be involved as they have
>disqualified themselves from the real DNS debate. Any person invlolved in
>the policy of .au should not be involved in an open campaign to undermine
>it - it makes no sense !
>

>> Richard Archer
>> James Austin
>> Stephen Baxter
>
>I still do not want to be here.
>

>> Kevin Dinn
>
>Mind you I have Kevin Dinn's twin brother (Kevin) to keep me company !
>
>> Michael Malone
>> David Keegel
>> Simon Hackett

>Stephen Baxter             SE Network Access/Big Networks Australia
>phone : +61 8 8221 5221    222 Grote Street
>fax   : +61 8 8221 5220    Adelaide 5000, Australia
>
>(www.ausbone.net - do not go quietly into the night !)

Larry Bloch
Chief Executive Officer
NetRegistry Pty Limited
email:  larry&#167;netregistry.au.com
Office: +61-(0)2-9555 6299
Fax:    +61-(0)2-9555 5808

http://www.netregistry.au.com
Domain House, PO Box 2088, Sydney, NSW 1043