RE: [DNS] Progress so far - and the ACCC

From: gavin <Gavin.Longmuir§sge.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 20:01:21 +1000
At Thursday, 25 June 1998 15:55 Richard Archer said:
> I'm starting to feel that competition in .COM.AU will
> probably take care
> of itself. Once there are a few potential competitors with a
> bit of clout,
> they'll call in the ACCC.
>
> While it can be said "it's technically impossible to have
> competition", it
> would be futile to call in the ACCC. However, as soon as
> shared registry
> software is available, I would expect some action in this area.

Perhaps we (the informed public etc..) should think that the running of the
DNS is a public utility. Telstra used to be a public utility (or is it
still?). Public utilities in many industries are currently experiencing
competition for the first time and the ACCC does seem to be involued (at
least to encourge "approximate competitive outcomes".) There will have to be
a watchdog and the ACCC looks like it will be the one sooner or later - it's
up to the current community to start some kind of frame work.

Gavin.