Re: [DNS] the first step

From: Antony <antony§sydney.healey.com.au>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 12:16:29 +1000 (EST)
> I'm interested why people reject a statutory body approach. I did too, for a
> long time. Compared to what we face now, I'm not so sure its the worser evil.
>
> Is it fear of this becoming a tax/revenue process?

For me, it is the fear of a body that does not have any knowledge of the
area getting involved in something they know nothing about and making
terrible mistakes/laws. They act too quickly without thinking and often
without wide consultation. They also often act extremely slowly and then
rush at the end and make mistakes.

I'd see an industry body that made proposals based on strong support from
the internet community as a very good way to go. That way, the govt merely
has to rubber-stamp it and not interfer.

Regards,
Antony.

  Antony Healey		ISOC-AU Founding Member		Ph:  +61 2 9834 6055
  General Manager					Fax: +61 2 9834 6249
  Healey Communications Australia  --  Giving you the world...