Re: [DNS] the first step

From: Michael Malone <mmalone§creole.iinet.net.au>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 10:21:27 +0800
me&#167;Tony-Barry.emu.id.au writes:
> While many members of the executives of these organisations are represented
> here what is their role? As individuals or representing their membership?
>
> I suggest that the many internet related associations with an interest in
> this debate express in some formal way that they support this list as a
> mechanism to advance the governance of the dns in Australia.

I'm here as registrar for ASN.AU.  I may make reference
to other hats, but I'm here as a registrar.

Personally, I would see this list more as a bunch of people
chatting.  We should aim to identify areas of contention and
the range of options.  We should try to identify stakeholders
and ensure that they are involved in the discourse.

However, I'd rather see the NOIE meetings as the "official forum"
where the choice of options is formalised.

In the final analysis, "stakeholders" will have to include at least:

1) Current and future Registrars.
2) ISP's and other bulk retailers of domains.
3) Domain Name owners (including commericial/academia/gov't/others).
4) Regulators.
5) The DNS using public.

At best, we can probably hope to get 1-4 talking on this list.
The associations that best "represent" the public are unlikely
to get involved in this media, but would attend a meeting
convened by NOIE.

As Geoff has rightly pointed out, at least two of these categories
probably fall into the "we just want to be asked" mould.  If this
mailing list can identify solutions and make recommendations, then
in all likelihood those recommendations would be endorsed by others
as well.

MM