ADNA Shape Up to obtain credability (was Re: DNS: Get ISOC-AU)

From: Adam Todd <at§ah.net>
Date: Fri, 03 Apr 1998 13:22:42 +1000
>>  But the public are yet to be directly invited to the (Closed door
meetings)
>>  of ADNA.
>
>If the noise generated on this list in any indication of what would happen
>at a public meeting of ADNA then I can understand that, it would be an
>all day (as opposed to half a day !) and nothing would get done. People
>have better things to do than attend meetings where they may be jeered and
>abused as having done something wrong when all they are trying to do is
>what is best for the group they represent.

It's clear Mr. Baxter you have no idea how to conduct a public meeting.
It's done in every house of Parliment and Local Council in Australia -
EVERY day of the week, for EVERY meeting.

This indicates to me ADNA either doesn't have the interest in the Public or
is afraid it won't be able to stand up to opposition, or wishes to ensure
there appears to be NO opposition.

Doesn't leave much else does it?

I suggested last month a proceedure for Public Meetings, used by most Local
councils.

I've not heard any comments back from ADNA as to whether this proceedure,
used in almost all Corporate Board Meetings opened to the public, might be
adopted.

Indictes to me that ADNA isn't interested in the public, and until such
time as I see other, that's my first objection, above anything else.

I will also see to it that any "resolution" passed by ADNA comes under the
scruitiny of the ASC in that any board member who might have a conflict of
interest swayed the vote to their benefit.

We can play fair or dirty.  Start by opening ADNA to the public and getting
Baord elected that is REPRESENTATIVE of the public, not people who have a
precuniary interest in making money and paying their staff and haven't
really got time to devote to what ADNA is suppose to really be about.

I see no PUBLIC members on the Board.  Only interested parties with a
direct interest.  When that changes, the faith and trust in ADNA will
increase.

>We all have conflicts of interest - as long as people know that who cares.

Lots of people.  And whilst you keep it all behind closed doors you'll
never know.

>ADNA wants registrars involved and I would say that that group have a
>rather large conflict. Go out - join IIA, WAIA, SAIA or one of the other
>interest groups that are members and get real noisy.

This is worse than the IAHC.  Why should anyone join an organisation they
don't believe represents them in a process that really doesn't represent them?

>SAIA will have you for $50 per year as an individual.

Mr. Baxter with you on the SAIA, and without knowing the others myself
(research has been done suggesting there is little difference in the
interests of the parties anyway) I don't think I'd bother wasting my time
joinging SAIA.  And I don't believe the average user/public member would
either.

>We all need to wear different hats at times (except for those ethically
>pure noise makers) - we need people to deal with that, accept it and get
>on with it.

Sure, but there are ways to ensure that hat wearing is representative and
balanced with other opinions, or don't other opposing opinions count?

>I think not many people realise that if ADNA fails there is no other (non
>government imposed) chance at this. Who would honestly give it another go
>in light of the ADNA effort ?

There are plenty of people who are in fact in administrative posisions far
greater than ADNA with far more experience significantly in the one area of
DNS both in relation to public interest as well as operation.

>(May be the fish mongers, DJs and mattress fluffers would be game if you
>can educate these people in the technical implications of any ideas they
>have for managing such a devisive area - but I doubt it.)

But THEY are the pepoe who USE DNS and BUY the names.  You have to seek
their opinion to be able to represent them.  http://sheesh

They don't need ot know WHO DNS works, they just need to KNOW what it's for
and that they use it.

But that needs to be balanced by people with technical knowledge, and also
balanced by more people with commercial knowledge.

ADNA must represent the following:

1.  The registrars
2.  The regsstries
3.  The Trademark holders
4.  The Domain Holders
5.  The Public

Currenlty ADNA represents the ISP's who want to seel Domain Names.

I don't think it will get wide acceptance.

>>  Filtering the so called noise is fine. But what if the noise maker has
>>  something constructive to say and you miss it. A better approach is to
read
>>  the first few lines to see if it is important, then trash it. But as is
the
>>  case in this world each to their own.
>

>People who choose to start their own alternate system have no right to
>partake in mainstream conversation. Efforts to fracture a technically and

So Stephen, you set up an "alternative" ISP offering to the public, I guess
you have no right to participate in the Internet Industry.

>administrativley working system should be looked on with disdain. If you

That's a very serious allergation and as such I'll be forwarding this to
our legal department and the ACCC.  You are clearly misrepresenting AURSC
and causing deceit to the consumer.

>chose to go it alone down your own road then please do not try to merge
>into our lane !

Same could be said for ISPs, Telecommunications in general, Newsagents,
Milk Bars, Fashion houses ...

Fashion - yes perfect example.  If you don't dress in Blue Jeans and a
white T-Shirt your a no one fragmenting the vain of society.

Come on. Lets get serious.

THE DOMAIN NAME HANDBOOK                   http://www.domainhandbook.com
The advice offered in this email is not considered professional advice,
or it would be accompanied by an invoice. No permission is granted for
republication of comments, without written consent.
Business Development, Technology Domain Registration and Network Advisory
Telstra Convey Member			  AURSC    http://www.aursc.ah.net
Adam Todd                                 Personal http://adamtodd.ah.net
at&#167;aus  or  at@ah.net				   http://adam.says.sheesh
Phone +61 2 9729 0565                     Network  http://www.ah.net