Re: DNS: ADNA has a LONG way to go.

From: Adam Todd <at§ah.net>
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 1998 12:56:59 +1000
>>At such time that Mr. Elze feels fit that ADNA is supported by the
>majority of the population, he might cede HIS authority into ADNA.
>
>We agree completely.  That is my understanding of the situtation also.

Great, now all we have to do is make ADNA, assuming it's the correct
entity, the community supported organisation.

A little bit of membership work to be done here I feel.

It shoud be noted the "new corporation" described by NTIA doesn't actually
suggest a "fee" for membership, in fact it clearly indicates that it must
be open to anyone.  Guess that's "democracy".  Even the homeless can apply.
 And so they should.

>On another issue you commented on separately, that of a process for
>enabling additional Registrars, let me re-iterate that the existing
>ADNA proposal available on the web site makes it clear that ANY AND
>ALL entities that meet some basic criteria (which are publicly listed
>in the document) cannot be denied a licence to be a Registrar, and
>that the licence will be automatically renewed in future to ANY AND ALL
>entities that continue to meet the minimal criteria.

OK.  I'll accept that. I would like to see ADNA's board either by their own
hand or by binding agreement that a board member can not directly or
indirectly operate as a Regisrar or Registry.

That ensures no conflict of interest.  But care needs to be taken to accept
a balance of people.

>That means any entity can easily determine in advance whether they
>can become a Registrar.

Good, well in that case we meet the requirements of the Green Paper,
perhaps ADNA needs to remove the "IAHC"isms from the policy now?

>If that means we end up with 1,000 Registrars operating in SLDs
>in .au, great.

Possible, and why not?  It can't cause any harm can it?

THE DOMAIN NAME HANDBOOK                   http://www.domainhandbook.com
The advice offered in this email is not considered professional advice,
or it would be accompanied by an invoice. No permission is granted for
republication of comments, without written consent.
Business Development, Technology Domain Registration and Network Advisory
Telstra Convery Member			  AURSC    http://www.aursc.ah.net
Adam Todd                                 Personal http://adamtodd.ah.net
at&#167;aus  or  at@ah.net				   http://adam.says.sheesh
Phone +61 2 9729 0565                     Network  http://www.ah.net