Re: DNS: Proposed BIZ.AU Registry

From: Nick Andrew <nick§zeta.org.au>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 22:39:24 +1100 (EST)
Forwarding a message from Geoff Huston:
> Some precision in your case would aid it considerably. By comparison with .com
> .com.au is vanishingly tiny in size. How then have you reached the conclusion
> that it is "too large"?

I tend to agree here. Looking to the future in a com.au-only world :-
 1 The basic namespace will effectively never be exhausted
 2 com.au server requirements (I/O and Net bandwidth) will increase forever.

Technological advances are expected to reduce point 2 to a matter of $$ only.

I think the com.au domain is "too large" when the number of transactions
(i.e. registrations and delegations) exceeds the capability of the DA
to do the work. That was the case prior to November 1st and is no longer
so (irrespective whatever charging policy is in use).

This is really a proposal for diversification and competition.

Nick.
--
Kralizec Dialup Internet System         Data: +61-2-9837-1183, 9837-1868
Zeta Microcomputer Software             Fax: +61-2-9837-3753 Voice: 9837-1397