Re: DNS: Proposed BIZ.AU Registry

From: Coherent Software <coherent§cohsoft.com.au>
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 1996 21:49:30 +1000
>The COM.AU domain space is already too large, with 90%
>of all requests hitting the COM.AU name space. It
>is better to have a "flatter" structure, to distribute
>the hits a bit better.

The point has already been made on this list: we could
all use IP addresses, but we don't because
domain names are far more convenient and mnemonic.
In short, DNS exists for human beings, not for technical
reasons.

If 90% of applicants for domain names are commercial
enterprises, I would prefer they were in one well-known
2LD. If the justification for the .biz.au proposal is
"to distribute the hits a bit better", this is a technical
argument. I think it would greatly inhibit DNS's usefulness to
humans, and I'd prefer some other behind-the-scenes technical
solution which doesn't affect its usefulness.

I would only be in favour of a new 2LD which had an
obvious separate sphere. The best proposal I have seen
is for a .tm.au for registered trademarks.

>There is also the considerations of the US experience.
>Over there, if a person gets XYZ.COM, then that's it,
>noone else can have XYZ as their sole domain name. So
>the result is litigation everywhere.

The result is also names like .au.com and .au.net .
First-come-first-served has its disadvantages.

Cheers

Paul Foxworthy
---- Coherent Software ------------- http://www.cohsoft.com.au/ ----
For interactive Web sites, catalogues, shopping carts, etc.
Member Aust. Web Publishers' Assoc.     http://www.awpa.asn.au/
Ask about our book "Genealogy on the Internet" - 2nd ed. for 1996.
Aust. Family History Compendium at http://www.cohsoft.com.au/afhc/
PGP Key: ftp://ftp.cohsoft.com.au/pub/pgpkeys/coherent.asc