Re: DNS: Proposed BIZ.AU Registry

From: Geoff Huston <gih§telstra.net>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 17:09:47 +1000
At 2:33 PM 3/12/96, Michael Malone wrote:

>The COM.AU domain space is already too large, with 90%
>of all requests hitting the COM.AU name space. It
>is better to have a "flatter" structure, to distribute
>the hits a bit better.

Some precision in your case would aid it considerably. By comparison with .com
.com.au is vanishingly tiny in size. How then have you reached the conclusion
that it is "too large"?

How also are you addressing the dual name proliferation that sees
acme.com.au, acme.biz.au, acme.trd.au, acme.whatever.au,
and in such a case is this simply not a case of increasing the cost of
protecting a name in the Internet space without any tangible benefit.

>There is also the considerations of the US experience.
>Over there, if a person gets XYZ.COM, then that's it,
>noone else can have XYZ as their sole domain name. So
>the result is litigation everywhere.

ANd how does this relate to your proposal?

>We need more alternatives. If Mitsubishi Motors gets
>mitsubishi.com.au, then it would be cool if Mitsubishi
>Electrics (a different company) can get mitsubishi.biz.au
>instead.

No - I would suspect that a name which has a high intrinsic
value through massive advertising would not allow other
folk to lever off that investment as easily as you make out here.

>> How about setting up as a second DNA for .com.au instead?
>
>Unfortunately, this isn't likely to happy for quite a
>while yet. This would have been my preference as well
>though.

And in many ways shared domain administration is easier to mount
a coherent case for adoption.

Not that I'm against biz.au per se, but I do make the comment
that the case you have produced to date falls far short of a convincing case
that ensures the integrity and coherency and utility of the DNS
in your bid to enter the DNS arena. It really requires more thought to
generate the substance.

Thanks,

  Geoff

And as a quick postscript to those cut and paste reporters lurking
out there...

Copyright of this message is asserted by Geoff Huston
Permission to reproduce this message in whole or in part in any medium
other than the Internet is expressly NOT provided by the copyright owner.