[DNS] Monetised

From: Darryl <dassa§dhs.org>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 13:42:49 +1000
Jon Lawrence wrote:
>> If the terms of the license they buy to have a domain name say they
>> can
>
>> only do this and that with it, then that is all they may do.
>> The only question is if the terms are clearly defined, and able to be
>> verified in a sensible fashion.
>
> Yes, but those terms exist within the wider legislative framework.
> If you try to restrict a perfectly legal use of a domain name then
> you're just asking for someone to challenge those terms in court, as
> a restrictive trade practice under the Trade Practices Act or
> whatever.
>
> It is not within auDA's remit to set policies relating to the content
> of websites.

Actually, the content of websites is already restricted under legislation
and if AuDA went to the government and suggested it may be a good idea to
restrict the content of websites referred to by .au to Australian content
I'd be fairly confident they would be able to get the backing required to
make it work.

I'm not sure it is something I'd like to see however.

Darryl (Dassa) Lynch