[DNS] Monetised

From: Jon Lawrence <jon§jonlawrence.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 08:49:39 +0100
>Precisely - if this sort of abuse continues then a large proportion of

>generics will be monetised, and anyone who actually wants to establish
>business using a generic domain name will be out of luck, unless they wish

>to purchase it from the current monetiser (which really shows that they

>are cybersquatting - see 4.5 below).

By definition, it is not possible to "cybersquat" on a generic name.  Cybersquatting
means infrining someone's trademark.  Generic terms cannot be trademarked
therefore you cannot cybersquat on a generic name.

auDA released the generic names by auction.  The reason they did that is
because they recognised that generic domain names have a perceived value
that is significantly higher than non-generic domain names.

If I was starting a business now and wished to use a generic domain name
then I would have no problem in paying a "fair market value" for that domain
name.  If you think about it, it's actually far more likely that a "domainer"
would be willing to sell on a generic name at a reasonable price to a start-up
business that wanted it than would an established business that would then
need to rebrand.

There are however very few examples of successful businesses being built
on the back of generic domain names.  The majority of the most successful
online businesses have remarkably ungeneric domain names (yahoo, google,
ebay, amazon, skype, hotmail etc etc etc).  Most established business simply
want to trade under their existing brand.  I therefore really question just
how substantial the actual underlying demand for generic names is within
the wider business community.

If the people that have paid good money to register generic domain names
wish to realise a return on investment through pay-per-click advertising
based on type-in traffic then I say good luck to them.  I don't particularly
like that business model nor would I ever click through on one of these
sites but then I'm not your 'average internet user'.  As I've said before,
the reason these sites exist is because people do click on these links.
 I suspect that in a few years from now, the wider population will become
pretty clued up to the real value of these sites and will avoid them as
I suspect most people on this list already do.  If that happens, these sites
will begin to disappear.

Jon