[DNS] Licence Period

From: David Jones <dj_david_jones§yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 05:31:37 +0100 (BST)
--- Jason Backshall <jbackshall&#167;staff.iinet.net.au>
wrote:

> Don't make this personal David.

I'm not making this personal.

> Lets get the facts straight here:
>
> - You want the ability to continuously monitor the
> status of domains

I already have and do thanks.

> - You don't know how

*sigh*

> - Others do

*doh*

> - You resort to putting others down

Me ?

> I'm not sure what that last one is meant to achieve

perhaps if you go through the thread you will catch
on.  I pointed out how it is possible to make
thousands of whois queries over a period of time
legally using the tools provided. Now this process can
be used by a variety of sources, one of which is to
run say a domain sentry, another is for harvesting
email adresses etc etc. Personally I would like the
ability for people to do this reduced and more
restrictions put on the whois database.

Some registrars have maximised the parameters to offer
more services others don't care. What we don't know is
what advantages registrars have over the general user
in terms of access. I would assume for example that
every time I did a domain availabilty check through a
registrar that my query would be stored in a database
for later statistical analysis :-).

What is a concern is when a registrar is actively
involved in domain monetisation, which is perfectly
legal of course. Although this may not be an issue
currently what will be the situation in say 10 years
time. While I don't have an issue with domain
monetisation per se I don't believe it enhances the
benefits of the Internet to the wider community.

DJ

Yahoo! Messenger - with free PC-PC calling and photo sharing. http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com