[DNS] france ditches magic numberrequirementRe:Domaindisputeheats up

From: Darryl <dassa§dhs.org>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2006 02:38:56 +1000

<SNIP>
|> Why? Because acme.au is better than acme.com.au.
<SNIP>

I was discussing this type of point with a business manager recently who is
more clued up than most about the namespaces. His argument resolved around
seeing a lot of very long domain/hostnames and that it was easier for people
to remember.

Given the reliance on search engines and the change from direct
recommendations he had a valid point.  In a lot of cases it doesn't really
matter to the business what the domain/hostname is.  They are only interested
in if it can be found and what clients can be driven to it.

The scene has changed somewhat from the days when shorter was the best, it is
a changed world and a lot of the time the opposite is true now.

Personally I still see value in the segregation into 2nd level domains.

Darryl (Dassa) Lynch