[DNS] france ditches magic number requirement Re: Domain dispute heats up

From: Vic Cinc <vicc§cia.com.au>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 21:06:32 +1000
Edwin Groothuis [edwin&#167;mavetju.org] wrote:
...............................^^^

I might point out your lack of support for the .au

it might not have struck you yet, but you are one of the people I am
talking about and fighting for. obviously you rather spend your dollars
creating US jobs rather then creating aussie jobs.

your actions rather then your words makes my point for me loud and clear.

> On Thu, Jun 08, 2006 at 03:10:43PM +1000, Vic Cinc wrote:
> > you can argue over the historical accuracy over which name space did what
> > when but it doesnt change the fact that australia for a wealthy country has one of the lowest
> > name space penetrations in the world.
>
> I really don't consider the amount of registered domain names an
> indication of how wealthy a country is. It only shows how wealthy
> the registars are.

you are out of line. why dont you move to cuba or north korea where you
might feel more comfortable with the anti business stance.

if I have to spend the rest of my life hammering every tall poppyist I
meet then so be it.

> Belgium has 10 million people, 2.2 million internet hosts and 5.1 > million internet users. And 1 million domain names.
> Ratio: 0.22 / 0.51 / 0.10
> The Netherlands has 16 million people, 7 million internet hosts and > 11 million internet users. And 2 million domain names.
> Ratio: 0.43 / 0.68 / 0.13
> Germany has 82 million people, 7.7 million internet hosts and 48 > million internet users. And 9 million domain names.
> Ratio: 0.09 / 0.59 / 0.11
> The UK has 61 million people, 4.5 million internet hosts and 38 > million internet users. And 5 million domain names.
> Ratio: 0.07 / 0.62 / 0.08
> France has 60 million people, 3 million internet hosts and 26 million > internet users. And 490 thousand domain names.
> Ratio: 0.05 / 0.43 / 0.01
> Australia has 20 million people, 5.3 million internet hosts and 14 > million internet users. And 500 thousand registered domains.
> Ratio: 0.27 / 0.70 / 0.03
> > Japan has 127 million people, 21 million internet hosts and 86 > million internet users. And 830 thousand domain names.
>

> What does this show? That the population, the number of internet
> hosts, the number of users and the number of domains registered
> have absolutely nothing in common.

what it shows very clearly is that countries like australia and france
and japan which have come from a heavily regulated environment lag
badly behind in domain penetration. countries like germany, belgium, new
zealand etc which come from a more progressive outlook have up to 10
times the take up of domain names.

your entire agrument is one of asthetics, which I put to you is entirely and
utterly irrelavent to good policy.

Vic