[DNS] Australia's luckiest man?

From: Ian Smith <smithi§nimnet.asn.au>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 16:31:47 +1000 (EST)
On Thu, 13 Oct 2005, Dave wrote:

  [NON-Text Body part not included]

Ok: cutting, pasting and reindenting to get around gmail brokenness ..

 > > Correct... In fact, assuming "light banana" referred to the colour of the
 > > paint in question, they could register "colours.com.au<http://colours.com.au>"
 > > - as it's clearly
 > > related to a product or service they provide.

 > Are you seriously trying to say that one entity could legitimately register
 > ALL the domains in questions - we're talking about names as diverse as
 > toothpicks.com.au <http://toothpicks.com.au>,
 > tacos.com.au<http://tacos.com.au>and
 > taxicabs.com.au <http://taxicabs.com.au> ?

Well, of course.  Wouldn't you need a toothpick to remove bits of taco
while in your cab home?  Surely that's 'close and substantial' enough?

 > By your logic, if I owned a search engine, I could go and register ANY
 > available domain name as I'm providing a service for people searching for
 > information on toothpicks, tacos or taxicabs etc. What exactly is the point
 > of having any eligibility requirements if that's the case?

Exactly.  You're beginning to understand what the Open-Slather-In-Drag
'close and substantial' clause really means.

Cheers, Ian