[DNS] Time for the rules to change regarding transferringdomainname licences

From: Kim Davies <kim§cynosure.com.au>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 16:19:18 +0800
Quoting Bennett Oprysa on Saturday September 24, 2005:

| no Kim, what's laughable is that a dozen or so domain users on this list
| think that their personal opinions automatically represent all other domain
| users, without any empirical data whatsoever, while at the same time totally
| discounting the views of registrars who actually do have access to the
| requirements and demands of large numbers of users.

Examples?

Firstly, this is a discussion forum designed for people to discuss their
views on matters relating to .au. The underlying theme of some comments
here recently that "non registrars should just shut up" doesn't wash
with me.

So far, my contribution to what I think the transfer policy should be
was:

  "For me, transfers should be as easy as can be. However that needs to
  be weighed against potential outcomes that could be against the public
  interest."

What do you disagree with? You think that "for me" means I am speaking
for all domain users? That transfers should not be as easy as can be?
That bad outcomes should be avoided? What?

I find it amusing, and I admit I have not yet read through all the 100+
emails since Friday, that it seems from that seemingly innocuous
comment of mine - apparently now I am a communist, and there is
apparently some clear need for the auDA board to be restructured, and
that I am always adversarial against registrars. Excuse me if I don't
see the logical connection.

You talk of empirical data, but on the unrelated issue of allowing
overseas registrations, Vic trotted out a completely imaginary fact that
Australia is contrary to "all other major registries". As I noted, the
world's largest requires local presence. I could have also said 6 of the
G7 countries require local presence, and so on. He dismisses the fault
in his entire justification as mere nit picking. You can't decide to
require empirical data, and at the same time dismiss it when it doesn't
suit your needs.

kim